World Political Science (WPS), a journal sponsored by the International Association of Political Science (IPSA), is seeking a co-editor to join Vladimíra Dvořáková from July 2016 for a four-year period. The intention is to select the new editor by the IPSA World Congress to be held in Istanbul in July 2016. There will be a transition period of several months following the editor’s appointment to enable familiarization with the editorial process.
WPS is published by DeGruyter. It publishes translations of prize-winning articles nominated by prominent national political science associations and journals around the world. Scholars in a field as international as political science need to know about important political research produced outside the English-speaking world. Fields include Comparative Politics, International Relations, Political Sociology, Political Theory, Political Economy, and Public Administration and Policy.
The new co-editor will be expected to continue contributing to the journal’s efforts to publish articles which cover a wide range of subjects of interest to readers concerned with the systematic analysis of political issues facing national, sub-national and international governments and societies. Applicants are requested to write to Linda Cardinal, chair of the WPS Editor Search Committee (a sub-committee of the IPSA Publications Committee), to provide a statement describing how they plan to build on this success and further raise the profile and standing of the journal.
It is expected that the journal editor will:
- collaborate actively with national associations and journals to acquire prize-winning articles (articles submitted to the journal have to be translated into English by the organization nominating the article)
- review the manuscripts using DeGruyter’s online management system;
- make decisions regarding publication of submitted manuscripts;
- edit manuscripts to ensure that they are presented in acceptable English;
- work collaboratively with Co-editor Vladimíra Dvořáková and key personnel at DeGruyter, in particular the Production Editor, Marketing Manager and Managing Editor;
- develop ideas to strengthen the journal’s position in political science and in the Global South.
Candidates for the position should have:
- a record as a distinguished political scientist in her/his field;
- a demonstrated commitment to international political research;
- previous editorial experience and be fluent in written English;
- familiarity with the work of IPSA and its Research Committees.
The successful candidate will be expected to become an individual member of IPSA; help prepare an annual report that is presented in person to the Executive Committee of IPSA; contribute to IPSA’s Publications Committee; and participate as a non-voting member in IPSA’s executive committee (which meets once or twice annually). The editor will be provided with adequate resources to meet expenses associated with these commitments.
Enquiries can be made to Linda Cardinal (email@example.com). Applicants should email Professor Cardinal a CV and an accompanying statement describing their goals for taking WOS forward. The closing date for applications is 30th March 2016.