Job Offer Information
The Department of International Affairs at Vesalius College Brussels invites applications for a full-time position at the rank of Assistant Professor, with a starting date of 1 August 2019. The Assistant Professor will join a dynamic department and is expected to contribute to the growth and reinforcement of the College’s strategic path of an interdisciplinary, policy-oriented Global Affairs College in Brussels with a strong transatlantic heritage.
Applications from candidates with a background, an active research agenda and expertise in one or more of the following areas are particularly welcome: diplomacy in theory and practice, strategic studies and geopolitics, international organizations and their role in peace and security, global governance, human rights and global justice. Candidates with strong background in research methods are particularly encouraged to apply. Our new colleague will contribute to the courses in our BA in International Affairs and the MAs in Global Peace, Security and Strategic Studies (MA GPSSS) and/or the MA in Diplomacy and Global Governance (MA DAGG).
In line with the department’s emphasis on “TPEL” (Theory-Guided, Practice-Embedded and Experiential Learning) candidates should have a strong background and interest in theory-guided and policy-oriented teaching.
Main Responsibilities and Scope of the Position
The newly recruited Assistant Professor will:
- Teach 5 courses per year at either undergraduate or MA level in the Department of International Affairs
- Supervise BA or/and MA theses
- Contribute to the Department’s internationally peer-reviewed research and grant acquisitions.
- Actively contribute to the College’s new initiatives in innovative teaching and institutional development
- Reinforce the Department’s emphasis on active exchanges between academia and the Brussels-based policy-maker world and contribute to organizing events, workshops and initiatives relevant for the department.
Main Qualifications and Expertise
- Ph.D. in Political Science, International Relations, International Political Economy, Public Policy, or related field
- Prior teaching experience and evidence of teaching excellence and continuous improvement in the area of innovative and student-centered teaching/learning strategies
- Proven track-record of internationally peer-reviewed research or high research potential
- Willingness to attract external funding and research grants
- Expertise in contributing to policy-oriented debates and exchanges with policy-makers and think tanks is a plus
- Strong sense of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit
- Knowledge of, and experience in working within an international university environment is highly desired
- Must be eligible to reside and work in Belgium.
The salary for this position at 600 level depends on the candidate’s level of experience.
Benefits include holiday allowance, end-of year bonus, hospitalization insurance, public transport coverage, and a green campus with sports and restaurant facilities.
Full-time faculty members also receive contributions to travel and research-related costs as well as budgets for organizing conferences, workshops and events.
Work Conditions and Work/Life Balance
Vesalius College places high value on excellence in research, teaching innovation and on entrepreneurial spirit for collectively advancing the development of the College and all its departments. Yet, the College also strives to allow its staff to flourish in an environment that values intellectual curiosity and an appropriate work/life balance. As a result, the College strives to keep the administrative burden of its faculty members at a minimum level, in order to allow faculty to focus on the core areas of teaching, research and service to the College’s development and the Brussels/European community.
How to apply?
To apply, send your CV, a letter of motivation and a list of three referees to email@example.com. Applications received before April 7, 2019 will receive full consideration. Interviews with selected candidates will take place late April/early May 2019. The position is available from August 1, 2019