Every August since 2012, the GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology takes place at GESIS, Cologne. Lecturers and participants from all over the world and from many different fields come to Cologne to take part in Europe's leading summer school in survey methodology, research design, and data collection-recommended by the European Survey Research Association (ESRA).
The 8th GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology will take place from 01-23 August 2019 in Cologne at GESIS Cologne. If you want to take the opportunity and enjoy high quality courses on methods and techniques of survey methodology, we invite you to save the date. Further information on the upcoming program, will be available at the beginning of 2019.
The GESIS Summer School in Survey Methodology offers high quality training in state of the art techniques and methods of survey research. It aims to:
- give a broad overview of survey methods;
- equip participants with essential skills in the design, planning, execution, documentation and quality assurance of surveys;
- provide an opportunity to deeply engage with the different tasks of survey design and implementation (such as questionnaire design, sampling, nonresponse and fieldwork monitoring), different survey modes (such as personal interviews, web surveys, and mixed-mode), and research designs involving surveys (such as mixed methods, factorial surveys, longitudinal surveys and cross-national surveys);
- provide participants with good networking opportunities, a supportive social environment, and an exciting time in Cologne.
Summer School Prerequisites
In addition to the prerequisites mentioned in the syllabi of the courses, you will be expected to
- have basic knowledge of empirical research methods;
- have good English language skills, as the Summer School will entirely be held in English.
Short courses are two-day courses that consist of about 6 hours of classes per day around of which 2 hours are tutorials or labs or exercises. One-week courses consist of 6 hours of classes a day of which around 2 hours are tutorials or labs or exercises (details for each course are provided in the course descriptions). Given the daily workload, participants can register for one course per week only.
Plenary and Social Program
Besides courses, participants are welcome to attend evening talks by experts in survey methodology and, thanks to our sponsors, take part in an exciting social and cultural program.
Participation fees and registration
- student/PhD student: EUR 120
- academic/public sector: EUR 180
- commercial: EUR 360
- student/PhD student: EUR 300
- academic/public sector: EUR 450
- commercial: EUR 900
Participants completing one-week courses have the opportunity to receive European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) points. You will be charged an administration fee of EUR 50,00 (4 ECTS) per course, respectively.
Scholarships sponsored by DAAD and ESRA are available. You can find detailed information on how to apply here.
Should you have any questions, please send an e-mail to email@example.com. Before you write or call, please also check with our FAQs.