The ECPR Standing Group on Extremism & Democracy invites applications for the upcoming Summer School on ‘Concepts and Methods for Research on Far-Right Politics’, which will be held at the Centre for Research on Extremism (C-REX), University of Oslo, from Monday 29 June to Friday 3 July 2020.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
We are pleased to announce that the call for applications is now open for the 2nd Summer School of the ECPR Standing Group on Extremism & Democracy on ‘Concepts and Methods for Research on Far-Right Politics’. The Summer School will take place in Oslo from 29 June to 3 July 2020, and is open to 15 PhD students of different disciplinary backgrounds in the social and political sciences. The event is sponsored by the ECPR and C-REX.
The Summer School addresses young scholars and students focusing on the study of the far right in its populist, radical, and extremist manifestations. Its aim is to bolster and promote knowledge on the theoretical, empirical, and methodological underpinnings of contemporary far-right politics.
The Summer School will introduce you to concepts and theories explaining the conditions affecting far-right mobilisation and performance; and methods to tackle this phenomenon empirically. Despite the growing attention received by far-right political parties, social movements, and groups, we still lack a comprehensive conceptual and methodological toolkit to investigate its diverse expressions in multiple arenas. The Summer School will thus address young scholars and students, and discuss how to apply established research techniques to the study of far-right politics, and devise and manage primary and secondary data.
The Summer School will create an interactive learning environment and provide opportunities to:
- Learn and familiarise with the conceptual and theoretical foundations of far-right politics, and draw on comparative empirical expertise on far-right mobilisations, electoral performances, and violent manifestations;
- Understand the rationale and practices of a number of methods employed to study far-right politics, at the micro, meso, and macro level;
- Develop the skills to confidently rely on mixed-method approaches and methodological pluralist practices in their own research projects;
- Present ongoing research and receive feedback from leading scholars in the field;
- Network with junior and senior scholars.
SUMMER SCHOOL CONVENORS
Pietro Castelli Gattinara (C-REX, University of Oslo)
Andrea L. P. Pirro (Scuola Normale Superiore)
For applications and any additional queries, please contact the Summer School organisers at: firstname.lastname@example.org.