Job Offer Information
We invite applications for a PhD position in the research project Social Status and the Transformation of Electoral Behavior in Western Europe. The project will employ observational and experimental designs to economic and non-economic sources of social status and its effect on political preferences and voting behavior. The Swiss National Science Foundation provides funding running from August 2019 until July 2023. The project team consists of the principal investigator (Tarik Abou-Chadi), a post-doctoral researcher (Thomas Kurer) and one doctoral student.
- Active participation in and work for the project
- Development and conduct of a PhD project related to the project and rooted within the broad areas of Comparative Politics or Political Behavior
- Participation in the doctoral program of the Department of Political Science at the University of Zurich, which offers advanced methodological and substantive training as
- well as professional development
- Potential to teach at the Department of Political Science at the University of Zurich
- An MA degree in political science or a related field
- Interest in electoral behavior, comparative political economy or party competition
- Very good knowledge of quantitative methods, experience with experimental designs is a plus
- Motivation to pursue an academic career
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
Very good working knowledge of English
This position opens on:
The intended starting date for the position is September 1, 2019.
Conditional on approval of the PhD proposal by the end of the first year, funding is guaranteed for four years total, with a gross annual salary of about 53’000 CHF.
Further inquiries can be directed to Prof. Tarik Abou-Chadi (email@example.com).
Please send your application electronically as one PDF-file comprising your letter of interest, CV, transcripts, a writing sample (e.g. Master thesis), a 1-2 page research plan for your PhD, and the contact details of two people willing to serve as a reference to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that your application refers to this particular position with the keyword “PhD Abou-Chadi”.
Closing date for applications: May 26, 2019