The Stein Rokkan Award is one of the IPSA travel grants that the association began offering its members in the early 1990s. The purpose of the Stein Rokkan fellowships is to assist a small number of graduate students to attend the world congress by covering their basic travel and accommodation costs. The recipients receive financial assistance towards travel and subsistence. The awards are made on the recommendation of the IPSA Committee on Organization, Procedures and Awards (COPA), and they are supported by the Stein Rokkan fund.
Stein Rokkan (1921-1979)
A promoter of social and political science, Stein Rokkan contributed greatly to the field of comparative politics, notably during his teaching years at Bergen University. He assumed the role of President of IPSA from 1970-73. He was also Vice-President of the International Sociological Association, Chairman of the European Consortium for Political Research (which he helped found), and President of the International Social Science Council.
Amount - $1,000 USD
The prize is of $1,000 USD for basic travel and accommodation costs for the upcoming IPSA World Congress of Political Science.
Observations: Up to 2 recipients may share the award of $1,000 USD
Application deadline - April 1, 2018
Guidelines for application:
The following are the criteria for the award:
- each candidate must be registered in a degree granting programme;
- normally candidates must be at the doctoral level but in exceptional cases where qualifications and money allow students at master’s level may be considered;
- candidates must demonstrate that their academic institutions and professors have bestowed on them high academic honour and esteem.
Applicants for the award are expected to submit:
- a curriculum vitae,
- a statement of the nature of the research project and an indication as to how it could benefit from participation in the congress;
- a letter of reference from an academic familiar with the applicant’s work certifying his or her academic status and indicating his or her suitability for the award;
- a representative sample of written work whose length should not be greater than a scientific journal article;
- a statement indicating financial need in respect of the costs of attending the congress.
- The committee on awards will assess candidates’ written work.
Applications are to be sent :
By email: A PDF copy by email to the attention of Guy Lachapelle, the IPSA Secretary General, to: email@example.com
By mail: A printed copy by mail to:
International Political Science Association (IPSA)
1590, av. Docteur-Penfield, bureau 331
Montréal (QC) H3G 1C5, Canada