Department of Political Science
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby (British Columbia), Canada
Institute for Canadian Studies/Comparative Politics
Faculty of Philosophy and Social Sciences
University of Augsburg
College of Professional and Continuing Education
Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Granted research committee status in 2000; committee created in January 2001.
The purpose of the committee is to study the politics of language; more specifically to study:
- the relations of power that inflect the choice and use of language(s) in international, national, regional, and local polities, societies and communities;
- the origins, structures, implementation, effects and consequences of language regimes;
- the politics of linguistic minorities, including goals, strategies, motivations and mobilization;
- using the normative and empirical tools of analysis in political science;
- developing mid-level theories regarding language and democracy, citizenship, globalization and other critical issues.