Job Offer Information
Located in the heart of Berlin, the WZB Berlin Social Science Center is one of Europe’s largest non-university research institutes. The WZB conducts basic social science research with a focus on the problems of modern societies in a globalized world. Around 150 German and international researchers work at the WZB, including sociologists, political scientists, economists, legal scholars
and historians. The WZB offers a modern working environment, where both equal opportunities and the compatibility of work and family are highly valued.
The International Social Science Council (ISSC) is an international organization that works to bring the best social science to bear on the biggest challenges of our time. It does this, for example, by publishing the World Social Science Report and organizing the World Social Science Forum. With its World Social Science Fellows programme, the ISSC aims to help build the next generation of social science leaders who can create knowledge for solutions to global challenges. Between 2012 and 2015, the Fellows programme brought together over 200 talented early career social scientists at seminars to create new, interdisciplinary perspectives on a global challenge. The World Social Science Fellows network is a vibrant group of early career social scientists that continues to generate new, international research collaborations.
Through their Global Fellowship Programme, the WZB and the ISSC aim to contribute towards building a new generation of outstanding social scientists in low- or middle-income countries,
who are willing and able to contribute to solving current global problems.
The WZB-ISSC Global Fellowship Programme enables an outstanding early career social scientist (postdoctoral researcher with no more than 5 years’ work experience after their PhD or
scientists without a PhD but with an equivalent level of research experience and output) residing and working in a low- or middle-income country to conduct research for up to six months
starting between 1 October 2018 and 1 March 2019 at the WZB.
Besides allowing the fellow to focus entirely on a dedicated research project, he/she is invited to participate in the intellectual life at the WZB. The fellow will also become a member of the ISSC’s network of early career scientists The research project of the fellow should focus on problems of modern societies in a globalized world with particular relevance to low- or middle-income country contexts. Moreover, i should be linked to research conducted at the WZB http://www.wzb.eu/en/research
Both the WZB and the ISSC strongly encourage female researchers to apply.
How to apply
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- A letter of motivation, including the preferred timing of the research stay at the WZB in 2018/19, as well as an explanation of the difference the stay will make to their personal careers and in their home institutions (maximum 1 page)
- A brief research proposal (including title) for the duration of the residency, as well as a summary of their main research and teaching contributions, indicating how these relate to the research topics at the WZB. Candidates should also address the societal relevance of their research (maximum 1,000 words).
- A letter of invitation from the intended host research unit at the WZB (this is to demonstrate that candidates have informed themselves about WZB research)
- A curriculum vitae, including information on education, publications, participation in research projects and networks, teaching experience, awards and prizes received and other pertinent experiences. (Note: The majority of the degrees should have been awarded in lowor middle-income countries).
- 2 letters of recommendation from current or past senior colleagues.
- An indication of their English language proficiency (e.g. formal English language qualification, or a copy of a recently published article in English).
- An agreement from their home institution to the research stay in Germany, if selected (applicable only if the candidate is employed during the proposed period of the fellowship).
Applications should be submitted electronically, preferably in one PDF document, to: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 30 April 2018. We will endeavor to inform applicants on the outcome of their application 6-8 weeks after this deadline.
Should you have any questions about the programme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org