Job Offer Information
We are delighted to invite you to apply for a scholarship with the Club Alpbach Brussels to attend this year’s European Forum Alpbach from August 15 to August 31, 2018, held in the village of Alpbach in the Austrian Alps.
What is the European Forum Alpbach?
The European Forum Alpbach is an annual conference in the Austrian Alps that has been attracting world leading thinkers and practitioners since 1945: economist Friedrich Hayek, physicist Erwin Schrödinger and philosopher Theodor Adorno attended regularly, as have more recently UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, and economist Jeffrey Sachs.
Every year, about 4,000 participants from over 60 countries meet to discuss emerging trends in eight broad fields: European and international politics, technology, economics, law, financial markets, public health, higher education, as well as architecture and urban planning. Each of these fields has a dedicated "symposium" in the conference schedule.
All of the events, however, are united by a loose, overarching theme: in 2018, the European Forum Alpbach takes on the question of “Diversity & Resilience”. The detailed conference programme will be published on the official website of the forum: www.alpbach.org. Note that almost all of the Forum's events are conducted in English and there's no requirement to know German.
If you fancy giving your summer a social and intellectual boost at 1,000 meters above sea level, then send us your application by March 30, 2018!
Our scholarship covers the entire conference fee (1,400€). While we do not cover costs for accommodation we have pre-reserved affordable accommodation in the centre of Alpbach. Travel costs and meals are not included.Successful applicants will be invited to a scholarship award ceremony in June 2018.
Whom we are looking for
- Students and recent graduates under 30 who study or work in Belgium. Since we aim at further promoting internationality at the Forum, Austrians are not eligible to apply for our scholarships. Austrian applicants should refer to one of the Austrian Clubs (Forum Alpbach Network).
- Individuals who represent a wide spectrum of opinions, and academic and professional backgrounds.
- Ideally you plan to be in Belgium from September 2018, as we hope you will continue to play an active role in our Club. However, this is not a mandatory requirement to apply.
- In particular, we are looking for individuals who
- enjoy interdisciplinary debates with a broad variety of people,
- are outgoing and interested in making contacts across Europe,
- have shown engagement beyond their work and study commitments (in extracurricular activities, university societies, charitable work etc.).
Please note that we require our scholarship holders to attend the Forum in its entirety (17 days), so please only apply if you are available for the whole period.
We are committed to equal opportunities and we aim at selecting a balanced number of candidates from various ethnic origins, gender, religions and sexual orientation.
How to apply
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com containing the following documents
Motivation letter (one page) answering each of the following questions
- Your reasons for applying
- Your free and critical thoughts about this year’s topic “Diversity & Resilience”
- Why you should be awarded a scholarship
- What you plan to do after graduating (if applicable), and whether you plan to be in Belgium from September 2018
Your CV (no picture; max two pages). Please note that your CV must contain your age, nationality and current residence.
The application deadline is March 30, 2018 at 23.59 CET, and will not be extended. We will contact you in April with feedback on the success of your application.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please find the call for scholarships also in here in pdf to download.
Please note that the European Forum Alpbach is also directly awarding scholarships. Find here more information about the Alpbach scholarship programme 2018.