The Founding National Conference of the Philippine International Studies Organization (PhISO)
Disciplining the Discipline: The History, Theory and Practice of International Relations in the Philippines
Today, scholars of IR face the daunting challenge of understanding and interrogating the complexity and dynamism of international politics. From enduring inter-state conflicts to new forms of threats, the continually evolving intricacies of 21st century global politics reaffirms the need to critically reflect and make sense of our contributions in understanding these phenomena.
In particular, IR scholars in the Philippines are compelled to look into the changing relationship of the Philippines to its neighbors and the world: whether it is integration to the ASEAN or the multi-party conflict in the West Philippine Sea. As we attempt to shed light on these issues, we also problematize the history, theory and practice of IR as a discipline in the Philippines. After all, the study of the development of the discipline is significant to the growth of the discipline itself.
In this 2016 Founding National Conference of PhISO, we invite senior, junior and emerging academics, students and practitioners to submit empirical, theoretical and methodological papers that aim to trace and map the evolution of the discipline of IR in the Philippines. We also welcome papers that deepen and expand our understanding, from the wide spectrum of approaches in IR, of the various continuing and new issues in the study and practice of international politics. Lastly, critical reflections from IR practitioners are also very much welcomed.
Themes for Individual and Panel Submissions:
- Tracing and Mapping the Evolution and History of IR in the Philippines
- Navigating the Challenges in Teaching IR in the Philippines
- Frontiers in IR Theorizing in the Philippines
- Is there a Philippine IR?: Critical Reflections
- Provincializing IR Theory: Asia and the Philippines
- IR and Interdisciplinarity: Convergence and Divergence
- Critical Unpacking of Philippine Foreign Policy
- Philippines in rising ASEAN and Asia: Implications for the study of IR
- Doing IR research in the Philippines
- The relevance of IR for the Philippines in the 21st Century
Application Deadline: 10 November 2016