The Centre for Social Conflict and Cohesion Studies (COES) extends an invitation to participate in an interdisciplinary reflection on the concentration of power, wealth, status and information, among other sources of domination present in society. We are interested in understanding the temporal, political, social and spatial effects on the development of social conflict and cohesion.
On this occasion, the concentration of power will be analysed from different perspectives, according to the following thematic lines:
1. Concentration of wealth and income: evolution, causes and consequences
2. Concentration of ownership of media outlets: Why does it matter?
3. The Chilean elite: Circulation, ruptures, discontinuities or reproduction?
4. Concentrations of political voice
5. Urban concentration and segregation
6. Domination and hegemony of the masculine models on social bonds
7. The domination of diplomas: Concentration of cultural capital
8. Psychosocial factors that explain the concentration and motivation to maintain power
ABOUT THE CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The 2018 COES conference will accept three types of proposals: individual oral presentations, panels and posters. All work should be unpublished and will only be admitted through the application forms available on the official conference website. Once selected, you must submit the final publication by October 15, in order to validate your presentation. TYPES OF PROPOSALS
INDIVIDUAL ORAL PRESENTATIONS
These refer to 20-minute oral presentations, which will be included in sessions defined by the conference’s academic committee. The applications should include the title, authors and institutional affiliations, email contact, three keywords and a long abstract of 2-3 pages. This should include detailed information on the theoretical framework, study design, methodology, principal results and conclusions that show the work’s
relevance. The abstract should provide enough information to judge its academic merit and priority will be given to the presentations that highlight recent research findings.
These refer to a 110-minute session that includes 4 20-minute oral presentations, a panel discussion of 10 minutes and 20 minutes of questions and comments from the
public. The applications should include the panel’s title, organisers’ names and
institutional affiliation, email contact, three keywords, name and institutional affiliation of the commentator (optional), long abstract of 2-3 pages that describes the general content of the panel and a long abstract of the same length for each presentation. The specific abstracts should include detailed information on the theoretical framework, study design, methodology, principal results and conclusions that show the work’s relevance. Each abstract should provide enough information to judge its academic merit.
These refer to the presentation of academic posters in a single conference session. The applications should include the title, authors and institutional affiliations, email contact, three keywords and a long abstract of 2-3 pages. This should include detailed information on the theoretical framework, study design, methodology, principal results and conclusions that show the work’s relevance.
Format: The printed poster should be in size DIN A0 (91 cm x 122 cm) in vertical orientation. For the poster design, use the PPT template available here.
Every participant should bring his or her printed poster to the conference. The posters should also be sent in PDF format with a minimum resolution of 600DPI, which will be uploaded to the conference website, after the conference has ended.
Text and graphics: The poster should be visually attractive. It is suggested to avoid lengthy texts; the limit is 1000 words. The inclusion of graphs, tables, diagrams and/or other visual elements is particularly encouraged. The poster should include the following:
- Title of the research project or work
- Author(s), affiliation and contact information
- Problem statement
- Research methodology - Results
DEADLINES AND SUBMISSION OF PUBLICATIONS
- The application process is only via the forms available on the website: www.coes-conference.cl They can be found under the section “call for proposals”. Once you have submitted the application, you will receive an email confirmation.
- The deadline to submit the application is July 11, 2018.
- Results will be notified by August 11, 2018.
- If selected, the submission deadline for the final publication is October 15, 2018, to firstname.lastname@example.org